SNMC is one of the few organizations that provide Muslim funeral services in Ottawa. An experienced Funeral Services team, along with dedicated on-site funeral facilities are used to assist families/individuals of deceased Muslims.
Please contact SNMC Funeral Services by calling 613-869-6259, and someone will be able to assist you.
The Funeral Process
Detailed procedure can be found here. It lists the costs associated with the process as well.
Here’s a brief overview of the funeral and burial process:
- After confirming death, a medical professional or institution will provide a family member with FORM 16 – Medical Certificate of Death.
- The family member will then fill out parts 1-22 of FORM 15 – Statement of Death. A member of SNMC funeral services team will fill out the rest.
- One of our team members will use FORM 15 and FORM 16 to register the death with the city of Ottawa, who will then issue FORM 19 – Burial permit.
- Once FORM 19 has been issued, our team will pick up the deceased and transport him/her to SNMC.
- At SNMC, the deceased will be bathed, and shrouded as per Islamic principles (also known as ghusl, kafan and takfeen).
- The deceased will then be placed in a coffin (the coffin is for transportation only).
Note: Optionally, cold storage of the deceased can be arranged, in case of delayed burial.
- Meanwhile a member of the team will coordinate with the family to set an appropriate time for the deceased’s funeral prayer.
- As soon as the time is set, an email will be sent out to the (4000+) members of the community, announcing the person’s death, time for funeral prayer and location of burial.
- (Optional) A member of the team can help the family coordinate the burial with a cemetery. This involves buying the grave plot, opening & closing the grave, etc.
- After the funeral prayer, team members will transport the deceased to the cemetery for burial.
- SNMC will issue a “Death Certificate” to the family, which can be used for things like closing the deceased bank accounts, cancelling insurance, etc.
Note: In some cases, you may need to obtain an Official Death Certificate from the province of Ontario.
- Arrange for Prayer/Azza/Dua (at no cost) at SNMC.
- Food services (at no cost).
- Visits from community members to provide comfort at residence or at hospital.
- FORM 15 – Statement of Death – To be completed jointly by the family and SNMC
- FORM 16 – Medical Certificate of Death – To be completed and delivered by the hospital/doctor.
- FORM 19 – Burial permit – Issued by the city of Ottawa.
Muslim Cemeteries and Mosques with Funeral Services in Ottawa